02 03 Notes from the School Psychologist: Sensory-Integration Disorders 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Sensory-Integration Disorders

34
When I first started my clinical practice at a Children's Hospital, I got referrals left and right to assess children for "Sensory Integration" disorders. The classic referral was from parents who were concerned that their 2 year old was clumsy (aren't they all kind of clumsy?) or didn't like tags touching them (who does?). I thought maybe I missed that day in graduate school, because at the time, I had never heard of such a disorder. Sure, I had heard of children with Autism and ADHD who had sensory issues, but not a "Sensory Integration Disorder," per se. All I knew was that when I brought it up to other professionals, it was met with an eye roll 9 chances out of 10. Over the years, I have heard the term less and less, but for those wondering what the heck it is, and if it's even a real disorder, check out this posting on Quack Watch. I'd love to hear what others think on this issue.

Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38